Department of Public Instruction: Five Wisconsin educators have been named finalists for the 2017 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST), considered the highest honor bestowed by the U.S. government for mathematics and science teachers.
The 2017 awards recognize middle and high school teachers (grades 7 through 12). Wisconsin finalists are
- Danielle Carlson, science teacher at Fennimore Middle and High School;
- Rick Erickson, high school science teacher at Bayfield High School;
- Sonja Hungness, mathematics teacher at Kromrey Middle School, Middleton-Cross Plains Area School District;
- Kristin Michalski, high school physics, Project Lead the Way, and astronomy teacher at East Troy High School; and
- Kevin Reese, mathematics and Advanced Placement Calculus and Statistics teacher Clintonville High School.
“These teachers inspire a love of learning in their students,” said State Superintendent Tony Evers. “They engage our kids in the subtleties of science and the marvels of mathematics to bring these subjects into focus for today’s world and in shaping the future.”